Monday, August 30, 2010

MIlestones aplenty

Hi Malcolm. I haven't written in here for a while now, more than a year. That's not because little has occurred in that time, quite the contrary... more like too much is going on to think about this blog. Enough about the why not, let's focus on the why.

We've been together a year now and I couldn't be happier with you as a result of that bit of news I got so long ago now. You are developing just as you should, better than I could hope, and you have a personality unmatched by others your age. You make me laugh, smile, and glow everyday. I'm most surprised by how proud I am at your little quirks and daily performances. Any time you say hi and wave or make someone else laugh, I can't help but feel like a great father. You're almost walking, and while I dread it, because I know it will bring a lot of pain to you and drain to me, I truly look forward to this and all your new developments.

I haven't gotten, really, to the why for this post just yet. It's key here, because all the praise above doesn't come without a bit of struggle. I'm awake because you've decided to have a screaming fit at midnight, 3 hours after you went to bed, and my attempt at soothing you failed. I often don't fall back asleep after your nighttime fits for quite some time, so here's a useful way to fill that time... though, as you know, it's a rare occasion. Anyway, you aren't prone to these wake-ups too often, so I'll survive. I just want you to know someday that you burned me a little. It won't change the way I'll feel about you tomorrow, though, the impatience and frustration goes away immediately when I see you in the morning. That's another thing that surprised me.

No comments:

Post a Comment